Yep. I went there. Work on Crusoe continues apace (I can’t put it down!), and I’ve finally turned my first flap heel. I decided against the Eye of Partridge heel and went with the stranded heel stitch in the pattern to keep up the whole “stranded” motif. The heel feels a little funny on, which is probably partially my fault. I ended up combining a couple of different patterns for the flap and the turn, and that’s seldom a good idea when you don’t really know what you’re doing. I think it’ll end up being comfortable enough, but I’m not sure that I’m ready to give up my short-row heels yet. One thing going for the flap heel: it looks pretty cool, because I used Grumperina’s method of picking up stitches for the gusset.
The sock has been knitting up very quickly at this point. When I did the gusset decreases, I decreased down to 52 stitches, taking an extra 4 stitches out of the sole to get a better fit. I just hope that I have enough to get me through the subway ride to and from trivia tonight before I have to start decreasing for the toes!