My first Wicked is finished (I say it’s my first, because there surely will be more). It was great to knit up, and aside from the 90+ degree temperatures outside, it’s super comfortable. I actually finished knitting last week, but the weather was so dark, cloudy and rainy that it was impossible to get a decent picture of it. Finally, this weekend, it was sunny enough to prop my camera on top of my DVD rack and set the self-timer and get a snapshot.
I made several modifications to the sweater, most of which were a result of using a lighter weight yarn than called for (DK instead of worsted). I initially cast on more stitches for the collar (a total of 148 before I ran out of yarn for the cast on), and recalculated the number of stitches for the smallest size to match my gauge. I moved the decreases for the waist shaping down a couple of inches, and spaced them out a bit more so the decreases and increases would fall in the correct place on me. I lengthened the body of the sweater by about 2 inches to keep it from riding up. To compensate for the finer gauge, I knitted the larger pocket size, and I believe that it scaled appropriately. Finally, I shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length, because that’s a more practical, comfortable length for me.
I ended up using about 7 and a quarter of the balls of yarn I had for the project. Now I just need to find a use for the 2.75 balls of the Debbie Bliss Merino DK that I have left over. It’s a great yarn, so I know that I’ll find something suitable for it. I couldn’t be happier with the way that this sweater worked out, and I almost wish the weather was a bit cooler so I could start wearing it right away.